Thursday, August 25, 2011

Happy 126th Anniversary Laura and Almanzo!


I'm going to do my best to keep this site updated. I might be returning to the workforce, but I'll give it my best shot.

Laura Elizabeth Ingalls and Almanzo James Wilder were married on August 25, 1885. Chapter 32 of These Happy Golden Years tells the story of the preparations that were being made in anticipation of Laura and Almanzo's upcoming wedding. Ma and Laura were sewing while Almanzo was building their house.

They were going to be married on Thursday, so Pa drove into town on Tuesday and came back with a new trunk for Laura. Ma and Laura placed her things in the trunk that afternoon. After Almanzo drove away with the packed trunk on Wednesday, Laura realized she would be leaving home for good tomorrow. The family had a fun night for the last evening that Laura would be with them.

The next day, Almanzo and Laura stood before Reverend Brown and were married, beginning many years together: years of joy and sorrow, tragedy and triumph.

We remember this special couple on the 126th anniversary of their wedding. Laura and her legacy have brought me many wonderful friends, for which I feel blessed. I hope Bess and Manly are dancing together in heaven.

No comments: