Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Book Review: Back to the Prairie by Melissa Gilbert

 


In Melissa Gilbert's second autobiography, Back to the Prairie, fans get the chance to follow along as she and her husband buy and remodel a rustic house in the Catskills during the COVID-19 pandemic. Gilbert chronicles her life during that time, how she rediscovered--like many of us--what mattered most, how she dealt with the lockdowns and how she and her family adjusted to the new normal. 

Having read Gilbert's first autobiography, Prairie Tale, I had high hopes for this book. I found Back to the Prairie to be more relatable than her first book. And as I look back on the creation of her lifestyle brand, Modern Prairie, you can see how this change to aging gratefully developed during this time as they moved to the Cabbage, raised chickens, got back to nature, and explored cooking.

Since politics run close to Gilbert's heart, there is a fair amount of her sharing how she feels about the politics of the day and the administration in power at the time. You'll also find some cursing along the way.

Despite those things, Back to the Prairie is an enjoyable read that I am glad to add to my Little House on the Prairie collection.

  • Publisher ‏ : ‎ Gallery Books (May 10, 2022)
  • Language ‏ : ‎ English
  • Hardcover ‏ : ‎ 288 pages
  • ISBN-10 ‏ : ‎ 1982177187
  • ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-1982177188

I purchased a copy of this book from Amazon when it came out. This review contains my honest opinions, which I have not been compensated for in any way. 

No comments: